Friday 21 October 2016

Thruxton R

Tried one of these at lunch time today. Here are my first impressions.
Didn't pick up from idle at first (maybe cold...)
Also had a fluff I thought I had run out of petrol, at one point, but it must have got itself in a twist.
The front end (showa) wasn't as planted as I would have liked. It didn't like going over bid bumps - I am sure the front wheel left the ground (maybe over damped).
The overall position was (for me) much the same as Libby's street triple, they do an option with the fairing with lower clipons - which I think would suit me better.
Very comfortable (I only had it for about 40 mins though).
Once the engine is up to about 3K rpm, there is a real PUNCH all the way to the red line ~7K rpm,
I miss the 12.5K on the Daytona, it almost reminded me of a 2 stroke power band - 3k - 7k.
The rear was lovely end (Ohlins) was lovely, the bike feels quite small as the tank is slim although in order to get your knees in the cut outs you have to sit back a bit, which is no bad thing.

It doesn't feel at all the heavy thing I was expecting.
Overall riding was quite pleasant, I am sure the fan came on, but I could find the temperature gauge so I am not sure if it was running hot! The instruments seemed at the wrong angle and picked up the reflection of the sky quite easily, which made them difficult to read. And at idle the needle is not steady (same on the Daytona).

Do I want one? No not really, I might like to try the version with the lower clipons to see if that makes the front feel any nicer, the biggest thing I would miss though is my lovely 3 cylinder engine with bags of power all the way through a large range of revs... Just suppose I'll keep on looking!
Thanks to cylceworld for the photo.

No comments: